Welcome to Audio-Visual Archives
Audio-Visual Archives offers a wide range of recording and production services to clients in Western Massachusetts and beyond. Whether you’re looking for a professional videographer to record a live event, or an expert to convert an analog media collection to digital, we’ve got you covered–from live to archive!
We’re all about archival quality documentation of arts, ideas, and events–both past and present.
- For interviews, live performances, presentations, and other event proceedings, we provide some of the highest audio and video recording quality possible.
- The same attention to detail goes into our preservation services, where vintage movie films, audio, and video recordings are prepared, transferred, restored, and “re-produced” into a new digital life.
Ultimately, the quest for quality goes beyond the pixels and decibels, and is about creating the most meaningful finished product possible. I invite you to invite me on that quest with you.
Have fun and make history! –Steve Unkles, owner and operator since 1995.
Here’s a brief introduction to Audio-Visual Archives. I hope that watching this will provide a helpful orientation, especially for those inquiring about these kinds of services for the first time. There are always questions to be asked, and choices to be made in this work. I start with all options on the table, and welcome your questions. More often than not, I’ll have my own questions to help you choose the best methods and services that yield the finished product(s) that’s right for you.
Eventually, I will have a video for every type of service I offer, which should make it a lot easier to understand and compare your options. I’ll cover relevant points about the different equipment used for recording or playback; software systems and processes used in the editing phase; as well as the finer details and options for the finished products. I’ll also be sure to cover some tips on the often overlooked planning stage for larger projects, as well as long-term archival solutions for your media and your memories.
Here’s a list of the services we offer:
A. Live Presentations:
- Lectures, Conferences, Seminars, Workshops
- Classroom/Academic Instruction & Discussion
- Focus Groups, Tutorials, Demonstrations, etc.
B. Live Performances:
- Live Theater, Music, and Dance
- Concert Recording (video and/or audio)
- Recitals, Rehearsals, Auditions, Demos
C. Miscellaneous Events & Purposes:
- Sporting Events & Athletic Competitions
- Weddings, Religious & Memorial Services
- Real Estate Home & Property Inventory
- Legal Depositions and Trial Testimony
- Anything worthy of great documentation
- Historical & Educational Documentary Programs
- Inclusion of Archival Materials and Footage
- Voice-over/Narration & Soundtrack Creation
- Oral History/Life Story Interviews, Video Biography
- Academic/Artistic/Athletic & Career Achievement Portfolio for Scholarships, Grant Applications, etc.
Video Production Services:
- Educational Productions & Programs
- Tutorials and Training Programs
- Fundraising & Promotional Pieces
- Issue-oriented Advocacy & Awareness
Audio Production Services:
- Audiobooks and Audio Seminars
- Radio Programming and Advertising
- Sound-for-Picture recording and editing
- All operations handled by a skilled professional
- 8, Super 8, & 16mm formats, Optical & Mag sound
- Viewer available to preview films before transfer
- Thorough Film Cleaning and Repairs
- Wet Gate option reduces appearance of scratches
- Real time and exact Frame-by-Frame systems
- Low-cost options to transfer low priority films
- High Definition imaging used for all services
- Speed, Pitch, Color, and Image Corrections
- Film-specific digital restoration, including:
- Dirt Removal, Grain Reduction, Stabilization
- Optional Music, Narration, and Graphics
- Edit with Other Content (Photos, audio, video)
- Choice of Output Formats–DVD, BluRay, Files, etc.
- VHS, Super VHS, VHS-C, ¾” U-matic, Digital 8, 8mm, Hi 8, mini DV, mini DV Cam, and HDV formats.
- NTSC, PAL, and SECAM Standards Conversions
- Choice of services to meet various needs & budgets
- Professional grade playback & processing throughout
- Many features to optimize or customize results
- Custom editing, restoration, & authoring available
- Output to tape, files, DVD (custom printed), BluRay
- Reel-to-Reel, Audio cassette & micro tape formats
- Vinyl Records @ 33 1/3, 45, and 78 rpm speeds
- Also DAT, MiniDisc, and any other digital file format
- Professional gear & expertise ensures optimal results
- Extensive editing & audio restoration capabilities
- Choice of services to meet specific needs & budget
- Hi-res image scanning with optional restoration
- Archive as files, re-print, or re-size for sharing
- Compile a slide show; tell a story set to music
- Try “Digital Storytelling”, a slideshow using images, text, voice, & music to create a compelling narrative.
1. CD/DVD/BluRay Authoring & Duplication 3. File transcoding, compression and upload
2. Artwork design, printing, and packaging 4. Archival storage solutions for vintage & digital materials
- Multimedia Project Examples of Archiving and Recording Services A Gallery of cover Art from various projects and productions.
- Video Production of Dance Performance Amherst, MA dance videography
- Symposium & Lecture Series Video Recording 10th Anniversary Celebration Weissman Center
- Oral and Pictoral Family History on DVD Collage of still images taken from 8mm & 16mm Film Transfer Project.
- Graduation Video DVD of Local Pioneer Valley school graduation
- 16mm Film to DVD conversion Film Transfer of Family Home Movie Archive
- Video Oral History Interview Video Biography of Holocaust Survivor
- Multi-camera Video Production of Choreography and Dance Collage of still images from multicam video production
- Vinyl Record converted to DVD LP transfer to CD of Polish Koledas--Christmas Carols
- Video Testimonial Interviews Candid video production of cancer survivors discussing their treatment and experiences
- Film Transfer with music and narration VHS to DVD of original film, edited with commentary
- HD Video of Live Theater and Dance HD and DVD production of live performance
- Historic 16mm Films digitized Archival footage of life in rural western Massachusetts in the early 1930s
- Family History Recording Multimedia oral history with films, photos, and interview
- Wedding Video Production DVD of Wedding
- Super 8 Home movies on DVD 8mm film transfer to DVD with music & narration
- Audio Interview of Family members in Western Mass Tape to CD transfer of oral history and family stories of Western Massachusetts
- 4-Camera HD Video Production version 2 Artwork for High Definition BluRay edition of Dance Performance--circular design
- Home movies on DVD Historic footage digitized and preserved, donated to archive; home movies transferred to DVD.
We have worked for clients in most parts of the United States and Canada, but most of our work is local and regional, including:
- All six New England States (MA, CT, RI, VT, NH, ME) and Upstate New York
- Central & Western Massachusetts; Worcester & Berkshire County, Greater Boston
- Brattleboro & southern Vermont down to Hartford and Central Connecticut
- The Pioneer Valley: Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin County, Massachusetts
- The cities of Holyoke, Chicopee, Springfield, and Greenfield, Mass
- The Five College Area, including Northampton and Amherst, Mass
Our Studio is located in Florence, MA (part of Northampton) , with a home office in Sunderland, to serve folks up and down and either side of the Connecticut River Valley.